Back pain is an experience most people will have at some point in their lives. Lower back pain is the most common cause of job-related incapacity and nonattendance from work. Lower back pain is any type of pain or distress throughout the back portion of your lower trunk area, extending down to your pelvis. The lower back is also referred to as the lumbar area or lumbar spine this type of back pain may last for a short time or it may be long-lasting, which means lasting more than three months. You may feel a gloomy, irritating pain or a sharp, bursting sting. Some pain can be so intense it may cause you to lie in bed unable to move. Severe lower back pain often resolves with simple self-care methods within a few weeks, but it can become chronic and lead to more serious problems over time.
Below are listed a few common reasons for lower back pain
1) Lower Back Sprain is the most common reasons for back pain. When the ligaments holding bones together are torn from their attachments you just experience a lower back sprain. This usually happens with quick, unexpected movements. This could transpire at work or in a car accident, or playing a weekend sport without properly warming up.
2) Spinal Subluxations are caused by stress, accidents, and if these injuries are left untreated this will cause you problems; spinal subluxations are misalignments or loss of normal movement in one of the bones in your back.
3) Trigger Points can cause blistering pain in areas in your muscles when they are pressed on. You know when you have found one because they are very sensitive to touch.
4) Arthritis is another of the most common reasons for back pain. The type of arthritis most often seen in the spine is Osteoarthritis, sometimes called Degenerative Joint Disease.
5) Poor Quality Mattress is blamable for more back pain than you can believe. Sleeping on a firm mattress can do wonders in relieving backaches…
6) Too much sitting puts excessive strain on the muscles of your back often causing Back Pain. This is a common problem in the United States today with so much time being spent sitting at computers, typing on keyboards, playing video games, driving, etc.
7) Spinal Stenosis is an age-related disease caused when the openings in the spine where the nerves come out of, become smaller. This often causes pain running down the leg (sciatica), which makes walking difficult.
8) Osteoporosis It is a deteriorating ailment which deteriorates the bone. It is most common in females over fifty, is another of the common reasons for back pain which affects both men and woman as they become older.
9) Herniated Discs are common reasons for back pain. Most people who have a herniated disc have suffered with back pain for some time. Wear and tear on the spine can weaken the disc, allowing the jelly-like center of the disc to squirt out.
10) Pregnancy is one of the reasons for back pain that the majority of pregnant women experience. You could gain 25-50 pounds during pregnancy. Most of the weight gain is in the stomach which causes your weight center to shift forward putting strain on your back.
The primary causes of low back pain can be difficult and are not always obvious. This article is aimed at helping patients understand how physicians evaluate the area of pain distribution in helping to diagnose the source of a patient’s low back pain and determine initial treatment options.
Dr. David Kulla
New York City chiropractor and the owner of Synergy Wellness, a wellness clinic specializing in chiropractic, nutrition and massage.